Press "Enter" to skip to content

Headlines for Saturday, October 7, 2017

A Fairfax man received a $2,500 fine, a suspended sentence, and a suspended driver’s license after striking a vehicle and several pedestrians at a Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway last year. Gary T. Edem, 66, was found guilty of reckless driving on private property and received a $2,500 fine, according to Henry County Commonwealth’s Attorney Andrew Nester. In addition, substitute Judge Larry Gott sentenced Edem to 12 months in jail with all 12 months suspended and also suspended Edem’s driver’s license for six months. The incident occurred Oct. 30, 2016, in the handicapped parking lot outside of Turn 2 at the Martinsville Speedway. Edem’s vehicle struck the Jeep in front of him, then glanced off of the Jeep and into a group of people walking nearby. A total of 22 pedestrians were injured in the incident. Edem testified that he has a prosthetic leg and that the accident occurred because his feet became entangled in the pedals. Nester said that local officials could find no evidence that the incident was intentional. (Source: Martinsville Bulletin)

If you live in the city and your water looks or smells odd this week, it’s because of the fire department. The department continues flushing fire hydrants throughout Martinsville. According to city officials, hydrants will be flushed this week in all areas west of Market Street and north of the railroad, including along West Church Street, Fayette Street to the western city limits, Memorial Boulevard from the railroad to the northern city limits, and all adjacent streets. Next week, hydrants will be flushed in the northeastern part of the city, including along East Church Street from Starling Avenue to the eastern city limits, Commonwealth Boulevard from Fairy Street to Chatham Road, Blankenship Road, and all adjacent streets. During the week of Oct. 23-27, hydrants will be flushed along Brookdale and Spruce streets to Parkview Avenue, Mulberry Road from Starling Avenue to Sheraton Court, Rives Road and all adjacent streets. Hydrants must be flushed periodically to clear normal sediment from water lines and make sure they work properly for firefighting purposes. (Source: Martinsville Bulletin)

Gov. Terry McAuliffe plans to seek new gun-control legislation in Virginia in the aftermath of the mass shooting in Las Vegas. The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports the governor will seek a ban on bump stock devices, high-capacity magazines, and military-style assault rifles. McAuliffe, who is nearing the end of his term and cannot seek re-election, has already pushed unsuccessfully for universal background checks and restoring Virginia’s scrapped one-handgun-per-month law. The Republican-controlled legislature routinely blocks such restrictions and his proposals face steep odds in the General Assembly. McAuliffe said the massacre in Las Vegas should serve as a wake-up call for Virginia and the rest of the country. (Source: Richmond Times-Dispatch)

A 15-year-old boy from Danville was shot Friday night, sparking an investigation by police. The teen was shot in his chest, while in the 500 block of S. Woodberry Avenue sometime Friday night, according to police. The investigation began Friday at 9:55 p.m. when officers from the Danville Police Department were notified that the victim was being treated at SOVAH Health in Danville. The victim was treated for a gunshot wound to the chest and transferred by helicopter to a hospital in Roanoke. No suspects have been named. The shooting is still under investigation. (Source: Danville Register & Bee)

A capital murder case that had been scheduled for trial in December has been delayed. Pierre Antoine Dixon faces five charges related to the 2013 shooting death of Antwan Rucker. Dixon’s attorney asked that a neuropsychologist be allowed to testify in the case and the court granted the request. Since the request came so close to the trial date, the judge postponed the case to give both sides time to prepare. It was November 9, 2013, when Danville police responded to the Innkeeper North on Piney Forest Road for a report of shots fired. They found 35-year-old Antwan Lamontah George Rucker in a black 2003 Mercedes Benz in the hotel’s parking lot, suffering from a gunshot wound. Rucker died at the scene. Dixon was indicted for capital murder and related charges last November. Sharika Murphy also was charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death. (Source: WBTM)

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply